The Reconnect Concussion Program
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we fall.
As a former ER Doctor and Family Doctor who has sustained multiple concussions, Dr. Vaidya understands the frustration, lack of clear information, obstacles to wellness, and isolation that can come with concussion.
Based on personal experience and her own knowledge of neurobiology and stress, she developed this 9-week program to help fill the gap in concussion care.
*** PLEASE NOTE: This program is NOT a substitute for VESTIBULAR PHYSIOTHERAPY which is the main treatment/rehab for Concussion***
Goals of the Program:
- Reconnect the Brain, using techniques which foster neuroplasticity, and based on concussion-safe restorative yoga.
- Reconnect with ourselves, after having sustained a life and identity changing injury
- Reconnect with community, by coming together with others who also live with persistent concussion symptoms.
We will also:
- discuss research on lifestyle and nutrition best practices for brain health.
- understand our nervous system and how we can best improve our function, physically, emotionally, and within our relationships.
- employ techniques from mindfulness, and compassion focused therapies, as well cognitive behaviour therapy to help cope with difficulties.
- support each other as we travel this brave new world with Persistent Post Concussion Symptoms.
- PLEASE NOTE: this program is NOT a substitute for Vestibulo-Ocular Physiotherapy/Rehabilitation which is the treatment for concussion.
- Open to patients living with Persistent Concussion Symptoms in Ontario, Canada, with valid OHIP.
- Referred patients will be assessed to ensure appropriateness for the group.
- Spring program is FULL!
- NEXT PROGRAM FALL 2021 - starts September 28, 2021 - Nov 23, 2021 (Depending on OHIP funding for such programs)
- Information session to be held in September
- Assessments will be conducted in September
- Online from your home, via the Ontario Telehealth Network or Zoom (with privacy link).
- Patients will need to provide consent to Virtual Care.
- Patients can come in online via computer/laptop/tablet/or phone.
- Those with screen sensitivity are invited to turn off the screen and participate with audio only.
- Many participants with screen sensitivity have found turning off their screen or coming in by phone to be a great way to participate!
- Please fill out the REFERRAL FORM and have your Family Doctor/Concussion Care Specialist FAX it to us at 647-576-0456.
- Your doctor's office may be offering telephone and virtual medicine consults. Call their office, or check their webpage.
- Once the referral is received, an assessment will be conducted to ensure suitability for the group. Assessment does not guarantee admission to the group.
***If the group is not appropriate for the individual, they will be referred back to their family doctor with suggestions that may be more suitable for their care. ***
- OHIP + additional fees for electronic handouts, meditations and videos.
- Deposit $99, total $299 (sliding scale based on household income)
*** NB: The Ontario Ministry of Health has cut funding for virtual care provided by MDs with GP Psychotherapy Designation during this time of COVID. This program maybe de-listed at anytime.
To save programs such as these, please email Hon. Christine Elliot, Minister of Health at firstname.lastname@example.org and Assoc Minister of Mental health and Addictions Hon. Micahel Tibollo michael.tibolloCO@pc.ola.org voicing your concerns of mental health cut backs for virtual care.
*Participants who miss more than one session will need to cover the cost of the missed time according to the following OHIP fee schedule: Missed Class: $80.00
This is module 1of 3 MODULES for Concussion Recovery. It is followed by:
Module 2: Live Well Series
Module 3: the Mindful Self-Compassion Program for Concussion (this program will be offered starting January 2022)
Once accepted into the group, payment can be made via interac e-transfer to info@theYogaMD.ca or via our payment system.