Rest, Reset, Rise!
A Yoga-Based program to get BETTER after Burnout!
Helping professionals are the most resilient people I know.
Every day, we bear witness to the trauma of the world as we work to improve the lives of others.
Mostly, we do this in poorly funded, high-pressure, and even toxic environments that leave us no time to recover from the physiologic effects of stress. We often suffer secondary and vicarious trauma, moral injury, and moral distress. It is no wonder so many of us are feeling burned out, if not exploited.
This program seeks to give back to those who give so much to the lives of others.
Based on the ancient practice of yoga, the science of human function, and the power of self-compassion, this program will provide education around the issue of burnout and techniques based in yoga to release stress. It will take you on a journey of personal growth and transformation, back to the person you were always meant to be.
Helping Professionals Group
NO YOGA EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY!!!
All participants will have an assessment to ensure fit into the group.
Location: Online on a HIPPA compliant Zoom platform
About the Course:
This course was written based on my own recovery from stress and burnout. It combines the latest on the neuroscience of stress with ancient therapeutic yoga practices to help address the components of burnout.
The mission of this program is to:
- Offer you a safe place to land and rest.
- Help you better understand your own physiological stress response, the need to complete the stress cycle, and regain your energy.
- Experience how key practices based on Yoga & Buddhist philosophy, including mindfulness and self-compassion, can help you re-align with your true self.
- Help you rediscover your purpose and get your life back.
Burnout has three components
- Emotional Exhaustion
- Depersonalization and Cynicism
- Loss of Sense of Accomplishment and Personal Efficacy
We address each of these components in the three parts of this program
Part 1 - Release and rest
This part of the program addresses emotional and physical exhaustion. In particular, we will review:
- Stress, how resilience is based on our environment, and introduce you to the philosophy of Yoga
- Stress physiology and how to complete the stress cycle
- Human function and performance, as well as factors that contribute to occupational stress and trauma.
Part 2 - Relate and Reset
This part of the program will address depersonalization and cynicism. When we burn out, we often become numb to our own feelings and needs, as well as those of others. It is just physiology and how we are wired. We will review:
- Understanding how mindfulness and compassion can help us deal with difficult emotions
- Dealing with relationship challenges
Part 3 - Re-align and Rise!
The third part of the program address the loss of our sense of accomplishment and personal efficacy. When we are no longer focused on what we care about, we can easily feel like we are not accomplishing what we set out to do. In this section, we will review:
- Our daily lives, and figure out how to build self-care into the daily routine
- Identify our values and what gives us purpose, so we can bring meaning back to our lives
- Put it all together so we can re-align, and become the best version of ourselves.
Each class will incorporate
- Gentle breath-focused mindful yoga movement (asana)
- Breathing techniques (pranayama)
- Mindfulness and compassion-based (metta) meditation.
- Discussion related to burn-out recovery including, the physiology of stress, human performance and function, self-compassion, boundary setting, and how to get back to doing the things you love post-burnout. We will also review key Sutras from Yoga Philososphy that guide us to understand our patterns and lead change.
- Videos for home practice tailored to each week for Asana /Movement, Pranayama/breathing techniques
- MP3 meditations
- Weekly Readings (+ MP3 so you can sit back and just listen!)
- Short videos to explain key concepts
- Worksheets for your own self-study
- Course is available available on desktop, tablet or smartphone via the Better platform/app. It is HIPPA/PHIPA/PIPEDA compliant platform.
- Secure chat feature to interact with other group participants!
This course is for you if:
- You are a Licensed Healthcare or Helping Professional (such as a teacher) suffering from burnout or stress related to work, family, and other relationships
- You may have stress related symptoms such as fatigue, exhaustion, sleep disturbance, weight gain, high blood pressure, pre- or current metabolic syndrome, depression, or anxiety
- You are are ready and willing to make changes in your life
- You are able to sit, or lay on a mat on the floor, and practice gentle mindful movement without excessive pain (practices can also done in a chair)
- You are willing to commit to 9 X 2.5 hour sessions, and approx. 20 minutes of daily home practice
Please note: This group is not a substitute for individual psychotherapy.
Live Course with Dr. Shailla Vaidya:
Complete the full course live with a small group, one half-day a week for 9 weeks. This option will be held during daytime hours and is ideal for those who are off work or are able to consistently take the same time off each week.
Process for the live group:
- All applicants will need an assessment to assure they are a good fit for the group.
- This assessment does not guarantee entrance into the group.
The next release date is coming soon!
Introductory Course Fee:
Stay tuned for the live version of this course - coming Fall 2022.
This course will be available as an online course which you can complete on your own
There will be an option for coaching calls with Shailla that you can do on your own, or in groups of up to three, for an additional fee of $260/hr. Groups of four or more: $260 for the first three people, then $75/hr for each additional person (payment will be divided equally).
Or payable in three installments of $375 every 3 weeks.
Dr. Vaidya has incorporated her background in Health Management, Leading Change, and Quality Improvement throughout the course. So not only does this course help you get your life back, but it also meets the following CanMEDS proficiencies:
- Compassion for self and patient
- Compassionate Listening
- Sustaining empathy
- Therapeutic relationship with patients and families
- Communities of practice
- Conflict resolution and management
- Complexities of systems
- Leading change
- Personal leadership skills
- Time management
- Continuous quality improvement
- Social accountability
- Personal learning plan
- Compassion and caring
- Professional boundaries
- Respect for diversity
- Career development and career transitions
- Mindful and reflective approach to practice
- Resilience for sustainable practice
- Responsibility to self, including personal care to serve others
This course is followed by the Mindful Self-Compassion Program (9 weeks) OR the Self Compassion For Health Care Communities Program (a 6-hour Intensive version of MSC designed for Healthcare), and the Live Well Lifestyle Medicine Education Series for those interested.